Tuesday, November 17, 2009

PACT, a Reception and Berlin!

The main thing that I went to this week was a PACT event that was featuring Ambassador Nancy Brinker and Professor Peter Boyle called The Globalization of Cancer. Ambassador Brinker is currently the WHO Goodwill Ambassador for Cancer Control, and she is the one who started the Susan G. Koman Race for the Cure for her sister. Professor Boyle is the President at the International Prevention Research Institute. It was actually really interesting and opened my eyes to the reality of cancer in 3rd world countries, that around 50% of women in those countries die of breast cancer; a cancer that 97% of women in the more developed countries survive. Professor Boyle opened my eyes as well, when he was speaking mainly of tobacco related cancer and death and said that the number of tobacco related deaths will dump by the millions, if not tens or hundreds of millions in the next century.

Later that night, there was a reception held at Ambassador Davies' house (The ambassador where I work, at UNVIE) honoring both Ambassador Brinker and Professor Boyle. I was invited to that and got to meet both of Amb. Brinker and Prof. Boyle and talk with them for a little bit during the night. It was a pretty awesome reception, with good food and drinks! I also got to network a little, got some business cards, that kind of thing....which can never be a bad thing!

At the end of the week was when I left for Berlin! ...to be continued

1 comment:

  1. Hi there Addison, I really enjoyed reading about your internship, it sounds very interesting and exciting.

    I'm currently doing one at the Australian High Commission in Malaysia which as been great.

    Looking forward to read more of your blogs

    ReplyDelete